PHCC is the public provider of primary care services in Qatar. The National Health Strategy for Qatar recognizes the need to strengthen and expand primary care so that it provides a solid foundation for the health system as a whole.
The new Primary Healthcare Strategy sets out recommendations that will transform care over the next five years including supporting people to stay at home rather than be admitted to hospital, a much greater focus on weight management and stopping smoking, the establishment of a patient helpline for people to access health and a comprehensive program of screening to help detect disease early.
In thinking about how the strategy will be implemented, there has also been agreement on key principles which will underpin everything that is done in primary health care, regardless of the organisation by which it is provided. The principles include areas such as ‘being the first and continuous point of contact’, ‘being person and family centred’, ‘delivering high quality services’.
About the Role within PHCC
- Reports directly to AMD for Strategy and Business Development.
- Provides senior leadership and direction for the development of services and initiatives across health services provided by primary care, including leading the development of service specifications and service evaluations.
- Supports the AMD in ensuring delivery of the PHCC Strategy and other related strategies.
- Supervises the establishment of Plans for Women & Child Health, Long-term Conditions, Health Promotion, Adult Health and Community Special Care Programmes and all other areas within the strategy to guarantee an efficient performance of health centres and ensure adherence to standards and criteria set out by the Directors and the strategic goals of PHCC.
- Leads and facilitates opportunities for healthcare partnership with local and regional organizations and contacts in cooperation with PHCC executive team, as it relates to the implementation of the National Primary Health Care Strategy.
- Attends WHO annual meetings, and represents PHCC in national and international meetings and relates content to PHCC’s strategy, and recommends what examples of innovation and best practice can be adopted by the primary health care system in Qatar.
- Liaises with the Director of Performance & Quality to ensure that the performance of new services, once implemented, is monitored for quality and effectiveness. Captures feedback and suggestions for future review.
- Undertakes needs analysis for service provision nationwide including requirements for resources, budget, equipment, etc.
- Establishes, develops and manages the Service Development department’s annual budget.
- Attends regular senior executive meetings committee with managing director and other executive directors to take decisions or consult for certain areas with advisory team.
- Holds individual meetings with managers of Service Development to follow up on the progress of their projects.
- Contributes to the development of the PHCC Business Plans on behalf of the Service Development directorate.
- Provides management and leadership support to Service Development staff
- Attends meetings with the whole staff of PHCC periodically to share the progress of projects within the programme and to align the communication between the staff and managers.
- Orients new managers on developing services and follows up the progress of their projects.
- Reviews reports on the various initiatives launched by the Supreme Council of Health or other international organizations, for possible implementation in the Qatar primary care system.
- Attends appropriate Strategy meetings both internal and external.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience